The Jerusalem Tavern in Clerkenwell, London is named after the Priory of St. John of Jerusalem, founded in 1140, of which St. John’s Gate is the most prominent remnant.
It has occupied several sites in the area over the centuries and the current building was developed in 1719-20 by Simon Michell and was originally a merchant’s house and then a workshop for various watch and clock craftsmen (eg. escapement-makers, fusee-cutters, finishers, etc.).
The current shop front was added around 1810.
The tavern has close links with Samuel Johnson, William Hogarth, Oliver Goldsmith, David Garrick and also the young Handel on his visits to London. It even influenced the English language of the day, locally, quart bottles were know as Jerusalems.
Now it is one of the most exquisite small pubs in London. It serves fine ales and wines as well as excellent lunches.